Wednesday, October 8, 2008

False alarm...no, not that...

So we had a very scary but ultimately very funny false alarm last night. Sometime around 3 or so, I think, Jen woke me up in a panic. She was clearly extremely frightened by something, but I couldn't hear what she was saying as I had my ear plugs in (I love my wife too much to go into details as to why I wear ear plugs to bed). Anyway, I took out my ear plugs but I was so groggy that all I really heard Jen say was "smell smoke fire?". I think I said "what?!" and I heard her say "I smell smoke is something on fire?". I then smelled it too which got me up and out of bed very quickly. For some reason I went to the baby's room and I could smell it in there too. I thought maybe it was a night light that we have in there that was overheated, but I felt it and it was fine. I told Jen that it seemed to be coming from the baby's room but she said she smelled it most in our room. Oddly, I didn't smell it in the landing between the rooms. We were walking around our room sniffing like idiots, totally freaked out and sure something was burning but we didn't know it, when it finally hit Jen as to what it was. Last night was the first night that we had the heat on, and it was making that "first night you have the heat on" smell. We both got a very good laugh out of it and Jen said she couldn't get back to sleep because she was laughing too hard...

Anyway, I also wanted to mention a few of the really odd but very funny things Stella is doing lately. We've written about her crib friend, Bear-y, before. She loves that thing...sometimes when we're reading books to her before bed she'll be holding Bear-y, and she'll sniff the silky lining part. Like really sniff deep...think Dennis Hopper in Blue Velvet. And then sometimes she'll put it up to our nose to sniff too...very funny...She also does something so strange that we can't figure out. She has a set of little block like toys that her Grandma bought home from her trip to Germany. They are in a meshy bag, and whenever she takes them out, she always takes the bag and runs into the bathroom with it and leaves it in there, then runs back to play with the blocks. Wha?! So odd! But very cute. Anyway, she seems to be getting over this cold she's had but it's hung on for over a week now! Hopefully it is in its final days...

1 comment:

Lauren said...

OMG I totally did the SAME thing the other night!! Pat was downstairs and I flung open the door (I was in our room) freaking over what he let melt in the dishwasher. (Hey. My accusations were NOT coming out of nowhere!) Whoops...

And your stories about Stella are just so precious and made me giggle!