Tuesday, October 21, 2008

A simple day to remember

As the arrival of baby boy McGann draws closer I find myself with many mixed feelings. Fear and trepidation about that whole labor and delivery situation. Excitement to meet the final member of the McGann Family. Happiness that our house will continue to be filled with baby giggles for a little longer. A little bit of saddness that Stella will soon have to share us with someone else and though I know a sibling is the best thing for her in the long run it is the end of an era so to speak.
The past few weeks she has really outdone herself in being a challenge.....or just being a little snot A LOT! She has had a cold for what feels like forever and she has just been a real pain the arse. Many mornings I have found myself in a panic and saying.....OH NO!!!! How am I gonna handle 2 when I can't handle her! From getting dressed and putting a ponytail in to getting in the car to getting out to eating and well.....you get the idea. Everything you could imagine has been a fight usually leaving us both in tears! I have said to Brian many times...what happened to that nice little girl we had only a few weeks ago?
Well....I am happy to say that I caught a glimpse of her today and I can only hope she is back to stay for a while. This morning Stella and I had one of those simple mornings that I hope I remember forever. We had modest plans of buying hair ribbons at Wal-mart and going to see Miss. Amy sing songs at the Hightstown library. As she clutched my hand in the parking lot at Wal-mart I knew we were off to a good start. Really is there any sweeter feeling than that of a little hand in yours?! She trailed behind me 5 feet all through Wal-mart pointing to flowers and saying 'what's this' over and over. As I hunted for ribbons to match her Bills Cheerleader halloween costume she chatted about the nearby spools of thread and rearranged the display only slightly. She never left my side and seemed truly thrlled when I asked her opinion on the ribbons hue and width. Our choices made, we headed off to the library.
What I like about seeing Miss Amy in Hightstown is that it usually draws a smaller crowd. She is hugely popular in this area and easily packs the local mall and some of the larger libraries get so full I get nervous. Stella and I stopped to look at the waterfall on our way and she managed to find her new friend the moon which was barely visible high in the sky. She amazes me time and time again with these little things. As we prepared to cross the water on the bridge I tried to explain in WAY too many words that this bridge makes me nervous and I needed to hold her hand. She stared at me for a minute and I thought for sure a tantrum was brewing but instead she stuck out her hand for me to take. I smiled so big as we crossed I am sure I looked like the village idiot but I didn't care. Miss Amy sang and Stella danced and jumped and put a scarf on my head and seemed to have a great time but mostly she sat on my lap and tried to cuddle in as close as my big tummy will let her and I relished every second and hugged her every possible moment I could. Remember this day I thought to myself, remember how this feels, it is a joy you can't put into words. After Miss Amy I decided to stop at Wendy's for lunch and Stella helped pull the hi-chair to the table and giggled and chatted through the whole meal. I have no clue what she was saying but I agreed wholheartedly and that seemed to be all she needed. As I covered her with stickers from the kids meal and sang you are my sunshine to her she smiled and smiled and even cheered at the end. I thought again....remember this day!
She is napping now and I hear her breathing steady after 40 mins of talking to her crib friends. Do you think she was telling them about her special morning with Mommy? I can only hope so.
It might seem silly to blog about a simple morning like this one but many years from now I think I will be glad I did because it was truly a special day to remember. Stella I love you so much!

No comments: