Sunday, November 9, 2008

A rough start, and pictures!

So yesterday was our first day home with Baby Jacob and it was a bit of a rough start. So odd that he did amazing in the hospital and almost never cried, but when he got home he became a challenge. Last night was a real battle and he didn't settle down until 3 AM. He did sleep until about 7 so that wasn't too bad, and I guess 4 hours of sleep for the first night that a baby is home is actually nothing to complain about. For me personally, it's been a somewhat difficult transition, I think because I expected it to be so much easier since we had done this once before. But there is something about being unable to come your helpless baby's crying that just pushes your buttons so much! Anyway, I don't think our experience has been at all unusual at this point. I think my expectations were just unreasonable.

Stella has been really great. We've seen small signs of her feeling uncomfortable with the whole transition but nothing major at all. I was able to hold Jake while interacting with Stella this afternoon and she didn't have a problem with that at all. I thought for sure that would be an example of something that would make her feel bad but it hasn't been. She hasn't interacted with the baby too much but it seems like every hour she is more curious and checking him out closer.

Here are some photos from Jake's first days. There are tons more but I just wanted to get some of mine up there. Mom will put some of hers up soon. Mom is doing great and looks amazing. You'd never know she experienced the trauma of delivering a nearly 10 pound baby just 3 days ago!

We love you Jake! Let's go for 6 hours sleep tonight, ok?!





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow! So cute! I wish I were there....

A doc in Portugal told me that at 4 kilos (8.8 lbs) a baby can go 8 hours with out a feeding. Jake's a big little guy, so when he settles, try the water feeding at night and see if you can get him to sleep through. (It worked after three nights with my boy at 6 weeks. My girl wouldn't until she started on solids at 6 months.)