Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Cheek to Cheek

Jacob has been doing so great the past couple weeks. He sleeps from about 10-6 or even 7. Last night though we couldn't quite roust him enough for that 10-ish bottle so I suspected he might not make it all night without a feeding. I was right. At 4am I heard him moving around via the monitor and knew he was wiggling like a bug in his swaddle and ready to eat. I went in to his little room and though the light was very dim I could see him looking up at me and after a second I got a big gummy smile. I sat and fed him....or should I say I held the bottle while he seemed to inhale it in two fast and furious gulps. I knew after that feeding frenzy I should hold him upright for a while to increase the chances it would stay in his belly where it belonged. As I held him up with his head on my shoulder I found us cheek to cheek and I couldn't help but hold him longer than I normally would have. That sweet baby smell he has mixed with his little formula breaths and almost brought me to tears as I know these cuddle days are fleeting. Just then I felt his little cheek rise and looked down to see him smiling. Babies often smile in their sleep and Jake is no different but I can't help but think he knew what I was thinking and how much I was cherishing the softness of his little cheek and the wonder that he is.

No comments: