Tuesday, September 16, 2008

A special day

Stella's Grandma Barbara McGann would have been 77 today.

In the years I have known Brian he has shared little memories of his mom here and there and tried to tell me what she was like. It's hard to piece it all together and come up with the woman I see in the pictures below. Recently, I joked with Brian's sister that I would love just five minutes to chat with their mom. I'm sure that wouldn't be enough time to get my MANY McGann family questions answered....BUT....in 5 minutes I could see if she is as proud of Brian as I think she would be. In five minutes she could impart a little wisdom about being married to her youngest son and shed some insight on being a part of this McGann family. In five minutes she could reassure me that she smiles down from Heaven at her little namsake Stella Barbara and will always help keep an eye on her. In five minutes I could confirm that Brian has her eyes and smile and thank her for having that 5th child. I never knew how precious 5 minutes could be.

As She gets older I believe stories about his mom will become a special thing between Stella and Brian. A way for him to remember her and a way for Stella to know her Grandma McGann and feel honored to share her name. I hope so anyway as I think it would be wonderful for both of them.
Today we send birthday wishes and blow kisses to heaven!
This one might be my favorite. I really see Brian in her here. It is such a genuine moment.

No comments: