Sunday, March 22, 2009

Momo

When I moved to Princeton a few years ago I started a new job with a new husband in a new place with a backbrace on and no friends. Maureen Carr was one of the first people I met at my new job at Princeton High School. We became fast friends as I was totally drawn to her incredible wit and fabulous use of sarcasm! She was quick to laugh and quick to cry....so am I. She was feisty and honest and real and wonderful. I was blessed that she also called me a friend. Shortly after I began working there she went for a routine colonoscopy and they 'found something' but it would be removed and all would be fine. And it was for a while and then it was in her liver and finally her lungs. 3 weeks ago she called to tell me there was nothing else they could do. I told her I was pissed off and we cried. We talked a few more times and we always cried too. Just over 2 weeks ago I picked her up from work and drove her home. She looked good. Thinner, yes, a little tired, yes...but she really looked good. In the car on the way home she tearfully told me how some of her co-workers had responded so emotionally to her news. I tried to get her to understand the amazing impact she has on the people who are lucky enough to know her and she cried and shook her head. She wanted me to bring the kids with me and they were wonderful. I think I even blogged that day about it. Stella has always known Maureen as Momo and I have pretty much called her that myself for quite some time. She hugged Momo and ran around her house after the dog and Momo watched her and smiled. She didn't hold Jacob that day because she didn't feel strong enough to handle his notable girth but she stared at him and he replied with big smiles. I left that day and said see you soon and we cried a little bit. I called her Tuesday and even though she picked up she couldn't really talk. I waited to hang up to cry that day. On friday I went to see her and it was not the Momo of mere days before. I held her hand and remarked its warmth and softness. She barely responded. Her husband Rich sat and talked a little while....she wasn't in pain, she knows I am there and she hears me....she told him she is ready to go. I told her I really just wanted to hear her say Mother Shitter one more time. (a silly joke that goes way back) Sure enough Momo muttered "Mother Shitter" and I had to smile through the tears. I had brought some flowers and a little bunny Stella picked out...for momo, for momo she kept saying in the car. I placed the little bunny next to Momo when I left and I told her thank you for the millionth time and that I loved her and was so grateful for her friendship and support during some of the toughest days I have had in the past 3 years. She didn't really respond but I have to believe she knew. I hope she did.

Momo died today at 1:15pm. My heart is broken and I will miss her terribly. I served Stella dinner on a winnie the pooh plate Momo got her at the goodwill-I washed it but you should wash it again, she had said...again and again. Brian read Stella books tonight and made sure to include the one Momo had given her. As I write this I know that she loved this little McGann family and we were so blessed to have been loved and touched by her.

Stella meets Momo for the first time.
Momo, Margaret, Stella and Flat Stanley all out for hotdogs.
Maureen gave Stella these adorable shoes for her 1st b'day and I have given most of Stella's clothes and shoes away but couldn't part with these!
The Carr Family let me take their pics and I am so happy to have these.
Maureen this past summer proudly and beautifully showing off her short hair. I loved how feisty it made her look because she was really a fighter.
This is one of my favorite shots of Maureen and how I will remember her.
Smiling, fighting and beautiful.

2 comments:

Susan said...

I am so sorry for your loss, Jen. I must say, that was beautifully put. I wish I had known her, too.

:-(
Sue

The Animator's Wife said...

Oh wow, my heart breaks with you. There is never an easy way to get through this-- except to allow yourself to grieve as much as you want, for as long as you need.

Praying for you Jen and the sad days ahead.